Subscribe to my full feed.

Petey the Pekingese

We adopted a doggy from the pound a couple years ago. His name is Petey. That was already his name and he was already about 5ish, so we decided to keep the name he is used to. Kina suits him anyway, because he can be cute and sweet like "petey" or a real dick like peter! OK, bad girl, there may be kids reading. A dog blog should be a family show. But I am sure there are others out there that can relate. My dog really ticks me off! But I love him.

We have had him for 2 years and he wakes me up throughout the night, nearly every night. I get to sleep through the night about once every blue moon. We have a huge, well, the largest kennel you can get, left over from when we had our 120lb 'Kea'

At the pound, there was a note on the paperwork posted on the kennel, "Owner surrender, health problems." I thought the owner had health problems and couldn't take care of this dog anymore. What could go wrong with such a cute, quiet, little snuggle muffin like this? Well, he still had his old collar and tags from his old vet on, so we took him there. They said, "Oh yeah, we know Petey. He has a lot of problems. We didn't know the owners gave him up." The vet was giving me the run down about how much Petey will need to come on regular visits for his ears, eyes, skin, teeth, anal glands, etc......sheesh!

At one point I asked the Doctor to please just show me how to drain the anal glands and I'll do that myself. He responded, "Oh no, it's a nasty dirty job and you won't want to do that." I told him nothing really grosses me out or bothers me, I'll take care of it, and he just persisted that I really should bring him in for that. So, then I asked how to clean the ears, and of course that seems a bit more risky, considering the ear drums and how sensitive it all can be in there.

Well, when we got home from that first visit, I looked up everything on the internet. It is very easy to drain the anal glands yourself. And it's a good thing I learned how to do that, because Petey's glands get full about once a week! Way faster than normal and if I don't drain them soon enough, it could get infected or worse, rupture and he would be in so much pain.

I learned a lot about the breed, how to clean his ears, take care of his eyes, his squished up nasal passages, his coat and skin. Turns out the Pekingese are pretty high maintenance, at least mine has all the problems that breed can get. Poor guy.

Anyway, so he has a cozy, secure place to sleep. It's not wandering about the house that wakes me, it's his constant chomping on himself, the sound of the chomp chomp chomp and his slobbery snorting while he chews. So annoying!

He's on Frontline Plus, hot spot meds, goldbond, all natural organic Paul Newman dogfood, and his skin is looking better than ever, but his chomping is, I'm convinced, just a bad habit at this point. Other than that, he's an absolute love bug, so he's a keeper. I'll write more about Petey and other doggy tales, but I just had to get some postin' goin'.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment